Opening up the Pantry
We launched ‘Your Local Pantry’ as a social franchise on 7 December. Our Business Development Officer Dave Nicholson explains how Pantries will help tackle food poverty and the Poverty Premium.
We are delighted that we can now provide the tools for communities to set up their own Pantries – helping local people avoid crisis point by offering them a reliable and good-quality food resource at minimal cost.
We have talked about Pantries on the blog before, as we worked to develop the idea into a franchise. We’ve seen the impact that they can have, freeing up people’s budgets by offering them 10 grocery items for a membership fee of just £2.50 per week. Pantries strengthen communities and also offer volunteering opportunities.
Now Your Local Pantry is a franchise. Any community group that wants to tackle food poverty and high food prices in their area can get the tools to set up a Pantry.
For an initial fee of £2,500 and an annual membership fee of £900–£1,250, franchisors will get everything they need to set up and run a Pantry:
- Pantry Handbook: a comprehensive manual giving step by-step instructions to guide you through setting up and operating a Pantry.
- Pantry management software: A bespoke volunteer, operations and stock management system enabling automated processes and comprehensive reporting.
- Procedures and templates: Documents relating to day to-day Pantry operations and performance management.
- Marketing materials: Personalised PDF templates of literature and operational materials including membership forms and flyers.
- Website: Advertising of each Pantry site, good news stories and key messages via www.yourlocalpantry.co.uk
- Set-up and development support: One to-one support from a dedicated Development Officer, including help with site appraisals, contacts and initial set-up.
- Training support: Advice and guidance from the Development Officer, and shadowing opportunities at existing Pantries.
- Annual conference and networking opportunities: Ongoing communications across the Your Local Pantry network.
Click here to find out more – including a video and details of how you can open your own Pantry through the franchise
Your Local Pantry was originally set up by Stockport Homes. The social franchise has been developed in partnership by Church Action on Poverty and Stockport Homes.