print an article
Printing an article in your church newsletter is a great way of spreading the word about the campaign within your congregation. Here's a model article - use this as a template and get the word out in your church!
It’s time to Close the Gap!
Can you make a Pledge to tackle poverty and inequality in the UK?
The UK is one of the unfairest countries in the developed world. The gap between rich and poor in our country is larger now than it has been for more than 30 years. This is neither sustainable nor just – and is bad for everyone, not just those who live in poverty.
If you oppress the poor, you offend their maker
Scripture is clear that the Kingdom of God is not a place where some have more than others: “He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble. He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty.” (Luke 1:46–55)
As a church, we are called to speak out like the prophets against injustice. The scandalous gap between rich and poor is the result of specific policies and structures. We can challenge these, and speak out for a fairer world.
Together, we can Close the Gap
Church Action on Poverty is running a major campaign on this issue, with support from partners in all the UK’s major Christian denominations. They aim to achieve four key things:
- Fair Taxes – pressing for a system where wealthy individuals and corporations pay their fair share, rather than avoiding tax and leaving poorer people to suffer the effects of spending cuts
- Fair Pay – calling on all employers to pay a Living Wage, and to curb excessive pay for high earners
- Fair Prices – challenging the exploitative energy companies and legal loan sharks who prey on people in poverty, charging them a ‘poverty premium’ which costs a typical family £1,300 a year
- A Fair Say – giving poorer communities a stronger voice, holding politicians to account, and challenging the excessive power which corporations have over decision-making
Give, Act and Pray
To make a real difference, Church Action on Poverty needs the active support of as many churches and individuals as possible. Please make a simple Pledge of support for the campaign. You could commit to join in campaign actions, to make a regular donation, or to hold the campaign in your prayers.
- Make a Pledge now by picking up a flyer in church or visiting www.church-poverty.org.uk.
- Find out more about the issues and the campaign by visiting www.church-poverty.org.uk/closethegap – or call 0161 236 9321 and ask to be sent a church pack.